Tuesday, September 27, 2011

And Army Men

I take even more pictures of army men than dinosaurs. The pleasure I take in them is visceral and childlike; I can break their little limbs off. I can take pictures that cause peoples' brains to do double takes, although I guess we are a little desensitized to that now. I will probably always do this (I keep some army men on my desk. I am that kind of person. I do this so that I can make gory, surrealistic tableaus while trying to convince people that I am a responsible, well-balanced person. Protip: I am not) but it occurs to me that the army men pictures are informed by a long-standing personal taste and well within my comfort zone and nothing I do with them can make me a better artist at this point. Anyway I can't compete with David Levinthal. The man is a pro.

Oh yeah, and just in case you were wondering, I took this using a tripod and giant, life-sized, army men in an empty house with a hardwood floor. And the one in the back is actually a guy painted green. It's totally true.

No comments:

Post a Comment